Proper nutrition at any age is important to ensure a healthy and active lifestyle. However, as we age, a poor diet can have significant effects that put us at risk for disease.
This creamy vegetable soup is nutritious (using whole milk instead of cream!) and delicious with a variety of vegetables!
Creamy Vegetable Soup
For the original full recipe, click here. Serves 6 portions.
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ cup Onions chopped
- ½ cup Celery chopped
- 1 cup Carrots chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 1 cup Green Beans chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup Broccoli Florets
- 1 cup Corn Kernels
- 1 teaspoon Thyme dried
- 1 teaspoon Oregano dried
- 3 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat butter and olive oil in a skillet and add onions, celery and carrots. Cook for a few minutes till the onions soften, making sure not to brown them. Add the garlic, beans, mushrooms, broccoli and corn and saute for 2-3 minutes. Mix in the thyme and oregano and add the flour.
- Add the flour along with thyme and oregano and cook the flour with veggies for a minute and a half. Add the whole milk slowly, while stirring continuously. Keep stirring while you bring this to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer.
- Add salt and pepper and let everything simmer for 6-7 minutes or till the soup thickens. Add a little broth or more milk to thin it out if its too thick for you.
- Serve hot on its own or with a fresh whole grain roll.
For information on how we can help support your elderly loved one with our Meal Assistance program, contact us today!
Servicing the Ottawa Community since 1998. We are now accepting clients in Smith Falls, Kemptville, Prescott, Brockville, through to Kingston, Ontario.
#vegetablesoup #recipe #wednesday #winter #January #seniorcare #seniorliving #healthcare #ottawahomecare #elderlycare #assistedliving #caregiving #homehealthcare #dementia #eldercare #elderly #alzheimers #parkinsons #health #mealassistance #homecare #ottnews #seniorhomecareinottawa #senior #dementiacare #Ottawa #ottawaretirement #retirement #ottcity #LHIN