One of the most flavourful combinations is found in a traditional Caprese salad – fresh basil, mozzarella, tomatoes, balsamic, and olive oil! Now imagine it as a sandwich or on toast – worlds collide!
- Tomato sliced thinly
- Fresh mozzarella (or opt for bocconcini cheese), sliced
- Fresh basil leaves, rinsed and pat dry
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- A drizzle of Olive Oil
- 1 or 2 Slices of your favourite bread, fresh or lightly toasted
- On a fresh or lightly toasted bread of your choice (we enjoy a good sourdough, calabrese bread, or whole grain), arrange the sliced cheese, overlapping them slightly. Place the thinly sliced tomato on top and sprinkle with salt.
- Place the fresh basil leaves on top and drizzle with balsamic and olive oil.
- Enjoy! (you may need a knife and fork for this one!)
A simple, yet delicious dish; full of flavour!