Enjoy this classic beef stew with your family during these cold Autumn evenings. A cozy combination of seasonal vegetables, hearty beef, and some red wine!
Classic Beef Stew
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound beef stewing meat, trimmed and cut into inch cubes
- 5 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 ½ cups beef broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine the flour and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the beef and toss to coat well.
- Heat 3 teaspoons of the oil in a large pot. Add the beef a few pieces at a time so you don’t overcrowd them. Cook, turning the pieces until beef is browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the pot.
- In the same pot, add the vinegar and wine. Cook over medium-high heat, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits.
- Add the beef, beef broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer.
- Cover and cook, skimming broth from time to time, until the beef is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the onions and carrots and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes more.
- If stew is dry, add broth or water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve on its own or with your favourite rustic bread or rolls!
#Wednesday #beefstew #recipe #seniorcare #seniorliving #healthcare #assistedliving #caregiving #homehealthcare #dementia #eldercare #elderly #alzheimers #parkinsons #health #mealassistance #homecare #seniorhomecareinottawa #senior #dementiacare #ottawahomecare #Ottawa #elderlycare #ottawaretirement #retirement #ottcity #LHIN